• Work Permit Procedure - Revised 4/2/2013

    All students between the ages of 14 and 17 are required by Pennsylvania School Law to secure a work permit. Students who have reached 18, by state law, do not need working papers. (Exceptions to this regulation are 17 year old students who have graduated or have officially withdrawn from school.)

    Work Permits are available at the public high school of the district in which the student resides. It is only valid for employment within the State of Pennsylvania.

    West Chester Area School District contact information:

    East High School – Summer: Main Office; School year: Security Greeter (484) 266-3800

    Henderson High School – Summer: Main Office; School year: Security Greeter (484) 266-3300
    Rustin High School – Summer: Main Office; School year: Security Greeter (484) 266-4300

    Out Of State Employment— any student seeking employment in another State must secure a Work Permit from the school district in which the employer is located.

    The Application Process:
    The Application for Work Permit [PDE-4565 (1/13)] will be filled out by the issuing officer, Monday-Friday from 7:30 am to 2:30 pm, upon inspection of acceptable evidence as proof of the minor’s age (only applies if the student does not attend a West Chester Area School District school). Acceptable evidence of age includes birth certificate, baptismal certificate, passport, driver’s license, or school ID as long as the form of identification lists the date of birth.
    The application must include the signature of the parent/guardian before a work permit can be issued.
    NOTE: Grandparent or sibling signature is not valid – unless proof of legal guardianship is provided.

    The Work Permit Process:
    The issuing officer will complete a Work Permit [PDE 4565 (1/13)] based on the information recorded on the Application for Work Permit.
    The issuing officer must witness the minor’s signature as “Signature of Minor”.
    The minor will be instructed that they are to keep the blue permit in their possession until their 18th birthday. The permit is transferable to any PA employer. It may be shown to the employer to be photocopied but must be returned to the student. (These instructions are on the reverse side of the blue permit.)

    Frequently Asked Questions:

    On October 24, 2012, Governor Corbett signed into law Act 151 of 2012, resulting in changes to Pennsylvania’s existing Child Labor Law. More information can be found by clicking: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/child_labor_law/7508

    How old do you have to be to begin working?
    Except in certain special cases, children cannot start work until they turn 14 years old. Exceptions include golf caddies, newspaper delivery persons, and actors.

    I'm 17 years old. Do I still need working papers?
    Minors need working papers until they turn 18. Minors who are 17 years old and have graduated from high school no longer need working papers.

    I lost my working papers. How do I get a new set of working papers? Do I have to go through the whole process again?
    Yes. Follow the instructions for obtaining working papers on the West Chester Area School District website.

    I live in Pennsylvania, but I landed a job in New Jersey. Do I need to get working papers in Pennsylvania or in New Jersey?
    You need to be certified to work in the state in which you will be working. You should contact the main public high school in the area in which you will be working to find out about their working papers procedures and hours of operation.

    Did the new law do away with the yellow work permit?
    Yes, there is only one work permit now for 14 through 17 year old minors.

    There is no doctor or employer section on the back of the new forms, why? Is this not needed anymore?
    Under the new child labor law, a minor does not need a physical examination in order to obtain a work permit. However, the officer will ask the minor, “Do you have any physical restrictions that would prevent you from working”? The response will be noted.