- The annual homeschool evaluations and required evaluator's certifications have been waived for the 2019-20 school year under Act 13.
- The requirement for homeschooled students to complete standardized assessments is waived for the 2019-20 school year.
- The 180 days of instruction requirement has been waived for homeschooled students. Homeschool supervisors are strongly encouraged to provide as much instruction as possible before the end of the 2019-20 school year.
- Visit the PDE COVID-19 Home Education Program website for more information.
Reminder: August 1st is the deadline for submitting the home school affidavit, detailed list of goals and objectives, and immunization/health form to the District Office.
The West Chester Area School District supports home education for elementary, middle, and high school students.
To begin homeschooling, you must file a notarized affidavit with your school district; file by the first day of school, or, if you are a repeat filer, by August 1. You must attach to it both:
1. Your objectives (an educational plan for that year that lists your goals for each required subject for each child.) *If a child in the home education program has been identified pursuant to the provisions of the education of the handicapped act as needing special education services, excluding those students identified as gifted or talented, then also attached is a written notification of approval from a Pennsylvania certified special education teacher, or a licensed clinical psychologist, or a certified school psychologist that this program addresses the specific needs of the student.
2. Medical and dental records. *Dental examinations are required upon original entry into school (first grade), and in grades three and seven. Medical examinations are required upon original entry into school (first grade), and in grades six and eleven. Please note if the student already has their medical and dental records on file with the district, or provide a letter of exemption.
Below are the forms needed to begin your home education program in the WCASD:
Once your home education application is complete, you can scan and email it to Linda Teodoro at firstname.lastname@example.org or you mail it to:
WCASD-Spellman Education Center
Home Education Program
782 Springdale Drive
Exton, PA 19341
Policy 137-Home Education
Policy 137AG1-Home Education Program non-District Administrative Guidelines
Policy 137AG2-Home Education Program-Participation in District Activities Guidelines
PDE Home Education Plan