Information Concerning Act 1 and the Homestead Farmstead Exclusion
Governor Rendell signed Special Session Act 1 of 2006, the Taxpayer Relief Act, on June 27, 2006. This law was intended to ease the financial burden of home ownership by providing school districts the means to lower property taxes to homeowners via a tax shift to earned income tax (voter referendum required) and by funding provided by gaming revenue.
In order to be eligible for a property tax reduction, you must have applied for and been approved by the county assessment office for the homestead or farmstead exclusion by March 1st. If you are a new resident or have not previously applied for the Homestead/Farmstead Exclusion, please contact your county assessment office.
Chester County residents may click on the link below to access a Q & A regarding homestead/farmstead from the Chester County Assessment office:
STATUS OF HOMESTEAD/FARMSTEAD APPLICATIONS
- Chester County residents may call Chester County Assessment Office at 610-344-4570 to check the status of their homestead filing
- Delaware County residents may click on this link to check on the status of their homestead filing on the Delaware County website (directions below) or contact Delaware County Board of Assessment at 610-891-4893
- Once on the website, select Real Estate Information and Tax Records
- Click the "I Agree" button.
- Click the Municipality drop down and select Thornbury Township.
- Enter your house number.
- Click the Street drop down and find your street.
- Click on the folio number for your address. In the box below “Site Information”, you will find the status of your property next to “Current Homestead Exemption”.